Dr. Jan Steinheimer-Froschauer
Research Area: Theoretical Sciences
Focuses: Machine Learning, Heavy Ion Physics
Office: 3|300 (FIAS)
Phone: +49 69 798 47660
Dr. Jan Steinheimer-Froschauer was born on 2nd August 1982 and graduated in physics in 2008 with a diploma in theoretical physics from Goethe University Frankfurt. After three more years, he earned a PhD from the Goethe University's Institute for Theoretical Physics and the Helmholz Graduate School for Heavy Ion Research (HGS Hire). In addition, he was actively involved in the development of the online learning network LON-CAPA at Goethe University. He then received a postdoctoral position at the Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies in Frankfurt from 2011-2012, before moving to the Nuclear Science Division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, USA, for a year as a postdoc. Since 2013, he has been working at FIAS as a postdoc and was appointed Research Fellow in 2017. He has also received numerous invitations to guest lectures at various conferences in Brazil, Poland, the US, Italy, and the Netherlands throughout his career and has received the Excellence Award from the HGS Hire Graduate School, the Feodor Lynen Fellowship of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation and the " Educator "grant from the Foundation Polytechnic Society Frankfurt.
2017 - today Research fellow
2013 - 2017 Postdoc
2011 - 2012 Postdoc
2008 - 2011 PhD Student
Since 2022: Co-Convener of the Big-Data-Analytics group of DIG-UM (Digital Transformation in the Research of Universe and Matter)
2021-22: Representation of KHuK in the Digitization Board of DIG-UM in the ErUM-data Hub.
Since 2021: Affiliate at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley CA, USA.
2012 - 2013 Postdoc LBNL, Berkeley, USA
Fellowships and Awards
- "Educator" grant of the Stiftung Polytechnische Gesellschaft Frankfurt (2014)
- Feodor Lynen Fellowship of the Alexander von Humboldt foundation (2011-2012)
- Excellence Award of the HGS Hire graduate school (2011)
- Introduction to Machine- and Deep-learning: Applications in- and outside of Physics, Lecture at Goethe University: SS 2018, WS 18/19, WS 19/20, WS 20/21
- Lecturer at the Siam summer school on high energy physics, 2022 – Krabi, Thailand.
- Lecturer at the SUT school on machine-learning and AI, 2022 – Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand.
- Lecturer at the Frankfurt Summer school of the Goethe University, 2019 - Frankfurt am Main.
- Lecturer at the HGS-Hire lecture week on heavy ion collisions 2019.